Flight of the Intruder
Kokee Sunset
Kee Beach Kauai

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there fees charged for a County of Kauai Permit?

The County of Kauai does not assess a fee, however, there may be location fees on private property and that is up to the landowner.

Are there fees for State of Hawaii Permit?

Only on certain locations. The State of Hawaii – Film Office Branch contact information is: filmoffice.hawaii.gov

Film Tax Credit Information!

The County of Kauai has a 25% Film Tax Credit administered by the State of Hawaii – Creative Industries Division – Hawaii Film Office Branch.  Here is the information: Film Offices of the Hawaiian Islands Tax Credit Overview (1)

Additional Film Tax Credit FAQs on this link to further assist you: 20-25FAQs-1 Film Tax Credit FAQs

What is the air travel time from the US West Coast?

It is an easy and comfortable 5 – 6 hours depending upon the winds and weather.

Time Difference between Hawaii and US Mainland?

Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time which begins on the 2nd Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November in US Mainland.

  • If it is 11:00 a.m. in Hawaii, it is 1:00 p.m. in the West Coast from the 2nd Sunday in March to First Sunday in November – 2 hours ahead
  • If it is 11:00 a.m. in Hawaii, it is 2:00 p.m. from First Sunday in November to 2nd Sunday in March 3 hours ahead

How to obtain a County of Kauai Film Permit?

The County of Kaua’i Revocable Film Permit application is available by clicking here. This link will open an Adobe PDF document that you will need to complete and sign, either with a digital signature or hand written signature. You may complete the entire process online, or you may print out, sign, date, scan and return via email to info@kauai.gov, fax to: 808-241-6399, or mail to: Kauai Film Commissioner, 4444 Rice Street, Suite 201, Lihue, HI 96766.

Please also review this final step as you navigate locations and the film permit process by the County of Kauai:

Kauai Final Locations Information and Experience

Feel free to call us at 808-241-4946 if you have any questions or need assistance with your application process.

What other contact information is available on the web?

Check out the Kauai Visitors Bureau, Kauai Chamber of Commerce, and the County of Kauai for additional information about Kauai.

Using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones)

Please review the following information from the U.S. Department of Transportation as it relates to rules regarding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS, ‘Drones’) as of June 21, 2016:

  • Part_107_Summary
  • From the State of Hawaii Film Office:Q:  I plan to use an unmanned aircraft system (aka drone) in my production to shoot on state property.  Do I have to get a state film permit for this activity?A:  The State will review the request to use drones on a case-by-case basis and only if: a) the production is working with one of the aerial production companies granted an FAA exemption to operate unmanned aircraft systems (drones) for commercial use; and b) the use of the unmanned aircraft system (drone) is limited to the exemption allowed by the FAA, which is for “scripted, closed-set filming.”  See the FAA’s website for more information.  Keep in mind that the state agency that has jurisdiction over the location (Department of Land and Natural Resources, Department of Transportation, etc.) may have their own requirements regarding the use of drones on their properties, including higher insurance levels.
  • Fact Sheet — Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 170)
  • Summary of Small Unmanned Aircraft Rules
  • News Release Regarding Final UAS Rules
  • For Student Use as of May 4 2016: Educational Use of Unmanned Aircraft: https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/Interpretation-Educational-Use-of-UAS.pdf

I’m a student.  Do I still need a state film permit and insurance?

Yes, if you are a student and want to film on state or county property, then you need to apply for a state and or a county film permit and provide the required insurance.  Call the Kaua’i Film Office at 808-241-4953 for more information and discuss your student project needs.

NOTE:  Students enrolled in the University of Hawai‘i , Academy for Creative Media program must also provide the completed and signed Student Verification Form with the State and or County film permit form.

This is a list of: State of Hawaii: County of Kauai Pre-approved Open & Accessible Sites