Frequently Asked Questions
Are there fees charged for a County of Kauai Permit?
The County of Kauai does not assess a fee, however, there may be location fees on private lands and that is up to the landowner.
Are there fees for State of Hawaii Permit?
Only on certain locations. The State of Hawaii – Film Office Branch contact information is: filmoffice.hawaii.gov
What is the air travel time from the US West Coast?
It is an easy and comfortable 5 – 6 hours depending upon the winds and weather.
Time Difference between Hawaii and US Mainland?
Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time which begins on the 2nd Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November in US Mainland.
- If it is 11:00 a.m. in Hawaii, it is 1:00 p.m. in the West Coast from the 2nd Sunday in March to First Sunday in November – 2 hours ahead
- If it is 11:00 a.m. in Hawaii, it is 2:00 p.m. from First Sunday in November to 2nd Sunday in March 3 hours ahead
How to obtain a County of Kauai Film Permit?
The County of Kaua’i Revocable Film Permit application is available by clicking here. This link will open an Adobe PDF document that you will need to complete and sign, either with a digital signature or hand written signature. You may complete the entire process online, or you may print out, sign, date, scan and return via email to email@example.com, fax to: 808-241-6399, or mail to: Kauai Film Commissioner, 4444 Rice Street, Suite 201, Lihue, HI 96766.
Feel free to call us at 808-241-4946 if you have any questions or need assistance with your application process.
What other contact information is available on the web?
Using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones)
Please review the following information from the U.S. Department of Transportation as it relates to rules regarding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS, ‘Drones’) as of June 21, 2016:
- Fact Sheet — Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 170)
- Summary of Small Unmanned Aircraft Rules
- News Release Regarding Final UAS Rules
- For Student Use as of May 4 2016: Educational Use of Unmanned Aircraft: https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/Interpretation-Educational-Use-of-UAS.pdf
I’m a student. Do I still need a state film permit and insurance?
Yes, if you are a student and want to film on state or county property, then you need to apply for a state and or a county film permit and provide the required insurance. Call the Kaua’i Film Office at 808-241-4953 for more information and discuss your student project needs.
NOTE: Students enrolled in the University of Hawai‘i , Academy for Creative Media program must also provide the completed and signed Student Verification Form with the State and or County film permit form.