Flight of the Intruder
Kokee Sunset

Frequently Asked Questions/Permitting

County of Kaua`i

Kauai Film Office

At Your Service & With Aloha!


There are special lighting requirements for night filming between September 15th and December 15th. 

How to obtain a County of Kaua`i Film Permit?

  • The County of Kaua’i Revocable Film Permit application is available by filling out an online permit request.  Please click here to begin your permit application.
  • The Kauai Filming & Permit Guidelines.
  • Required Certificate of Insurance Requirements are available for download here:  Certificate of Insurance Requirements & Sample COI
  • Please click for State & County Permitting Information Sheet
  • The County of Kauai does not require a permit fee at this time.
  • Permits should be filled out in its entirety and returned to the Kauai Film Office at:

Please call 808-241-4953 for additional assistance.

Kauai Film Tax Credit Information:

  1. The County of Kaua` i  has a generous 25% Film Tax Credit for qualified productions administered by the State of Hawaii – Creative Industries Division- Hawaii Film Branch.  Click here for more information:   Film Offices of the Hawaiian Islands Tax Credit Information .

State of Hawaii Film Permits:

  1. State of Hawaii requires permit fees for filming on DLNR lands and any lands owned by the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA).  Permitting information can be found at filmoffice.hawaii.gov

Using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones)

If you plan to use an unmanned aircraft system (aka drone) in my production to shoot on state property you may need a film permit for this activity.  From the State Film Office:

The State will review the request to use drones on a case-by-case basis and only if: a) the production is working with one of the aerial production companies granted an FAA exemption to operate unmanned aircraft systems (drones) for commercial use; and b) the use of the unmanned aircraft system (drone) is limited to the exemption allowed by the FAA, which is for “scripted, closed-set filming.”  See the FAA’s website for more information.  Keep in mind that the state agency that has jurisdiction over the location (Department of Land and Natural Resources, Department of Transportation, etc.) may have their own requirements regarding the use of drones on their properties, including higher insurance levels.

Student Filmmakers

  • If you are a student and want to film on state or county property, then you will need to apply for a state and or a county film permit and provide the required insurance.  Call the Kaua’i Film Office at 808-241-4953 for more information to discuss your student project needs.  NOTE:  Students enrolled in the University of Hawai‘i , Academy for Creative Media program must also provide the completed and signed Student Verification Form with the State and or County film permit form.

Other Information

  • What is the air travel time from the US West Coast?  It is an easy and comfortable 5 – 6 hours depending upon the winds and weather.
  • Time difference between Hawai`i and US Mainland?  Hawaii does not observe Daylight Savings Time which begins on the 2nd Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November in US Mainland.
    • If it is 11:00 a.m. in Hawai`i, it is 1:00 p.m. in the West Coast from the 2nd Sunday in March to First Sunday in November – 2 hours ahead.
    • If it is 11:00 a.m. in Hawai`i, it is 2:00 p.m. from First Sunday in November to 2nd Sunday in March 3 hours ahead
  • What other contact information is available on the web?   Visit: