What makes Kauai unique?
Filmmakers have long favored Kauai’s incomparable mountain ridges and valleys, tropical jungles, 143 miles of magnificent coastline, year-round streams and waterfalls, and arid dunes and canyons. The island’s feature film credits date back to 1933, when director Lois Weber brought a film crew to shoot White Heat. View a complete list of movies filmed on Kauai.
Our mission and services
The Kauai Film Commission is a division of the County of Kauai Office of Economic Development. Its purpose is to promote, market, and support Kauai as a production location for all media while ensuring the safety and welfare of the local community and environment. Once a producer chooses Kauai as a filming location, the Film Commission assists with the following:
- Guidance and information
- Location photos from a photo library
- Local resource listings conveniently accessed from the Production Resource Directory on this website
- Referrals to qualified production personnel, services and accommodations
- Preferred rates wherever possible
- Weather information
- Contacts for filming on private land
- Assistance with State of Hawaii and County of Kauai film permit application forms
The State of Hawaii also has a Hawaii Film Tax incentive tax credit. Act 88 offers productions on Kauai an attractive 25% tax rebate when a minimum $200,000 production costs are budgeted.
The services of the Kauai Film Commission are free, as are most filming permits on county and state lands on the island.
Contact us for more information
Let us know if you are considering Kauai as a location for a specific project, and if so, whether it is a feature film, television show, documentary, still photo shoot, fashion catalog, or something else. A brief description of your project, including when filming would take place, will help us to help you better.
The following is available
- A general information packet including a locations brochure, map, and movie list
- The State Media Index (production directory)
- Kauai Production Resource Directory (Kauai-specific) is available on this website
- Let us know specifically what you are looking for and we will assist you